Monday, March 25, 2013

roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula

roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
Our local Farmers Market has really been a lifesaver. This time of year, when spring is approaching but Winter just doesn't want to let go I can get into a funk. I crave warm days, fresh produce and weekly trips to my Farm stand and Farmers Markets. The Winter Farmers Market has been a little glimmer of light - providing weekly fresh kitchen inspiration. I look forward each Sunday to see what new Micro greens or Sprouts one of my favorite farmer has or the new varieties of NH organically grown mushrooms the NH Fungi has and discovering new to me veggies. On a whim while purchasing my micro greens & sunflower sprouts a little container of sunchokes caught my eye. A sucker for anything new, they came home with me.


roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
Along with the sunchokes these beautiful chestnut mushrooms also made their way into my basket. I fell instantly in love with the beautiful brown and white fuzzed mushrooms. After a bit of research, I learned that the sunchoke is a Jerusalem Artichoke, they are starchy and it seems are most popular in soups. They are best roasted, where they caramelize and become a bit sweet. They can also be eaten raw- but roasting seemed to be the way to go.

roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula

While Chestnut mushrooms are well known in Europe and Asia, they are just making their debut in American kitchens. They are also known as Brown Caps or Velvet Pioppino and are close relatives of Japanese nameko mushrooms. Chestnut mushrooms grow in dense clusters, with ocher to chestnut brown caps and pink to dark brown gills beneath.{source}
Contrary to what some sources say, these are much different than your button mushroom - they have a more in depth flavor and are excellent roasted. If you can't find Chestnut Mushrooms simply sub in your favorite mushroom - baby Bella's or King Oyster would be nice, even maitake (hen of the woods)

roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
Dishes like this just go to show how easy it is to fuse winter and spring flavors - the brightness of the lemon and arugula pairs well with the earthy mushrooms and sunchokes. Micro greens add another level of freshness & green, the one thing I crave the most this time of year.

roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
I highly recommend the crushed red pepper, the heat adds another dimension of flavor that adds a little kick to the overall dish. It is good without it but better with it. Justin and I also really enjoyed a little added homemade Almanese - so good!

roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
We served this as side to our fall back dinner- veggie burgers. Like with most dishes, the leftovers were even better the next day for lunch. Even by just adding one new element to an old standby meal makes it a tad bit more exciting. Though Justin would tell you he could eat veggie burgers everyday of the week and not get bored. Me, I need variety at dinner - breakfast & lunch I have no problems being a repeater.
roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
Have you ever cooked with sunchokes? Check out these other amazing recipes using sunchokes for even more inspiration!

Creamy Sunchoke Soup with Fried Parsnips & Mushrooms from Jen at Tartine & Apron Strings
Roasted Sunchoke & Cauliflower Soup from Shira in pursuit of more
A nice summary about Sunchokes from Health Barn USA

roasted sunchoke + chestnut mushroom penne // arugula
Roasted Sunchoke & Chestnut Mushroom Penne with Arugula 
serves 4 as a side or 2 as a main

you will need:
1 cup Sunchokes, scrubbed well
2 -3 cups whole Chestnut Mushrooms (large ones cut in half)
healthy handful of arugula, rinsed & torn
1 cup mini penne (dry)
Juice of 1 lemon
 healthy drizzle of olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
micro greens for garnish
crushed red pepper to taste

assembly:
pre heat oven to 375*

clean mushrooms and scrub sunchokes - cut sunchokes into bite size pieces. Mine were on the smallish side so this step was not really necessary. Place sunchokes and chestnut mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally. Roast until sunchokes are golden and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.

In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Add 1 cup mini penne pasta and cook for 7 minutes or until  
al dente. Remove from heat and drain.

Transfer roasted sunchokes, mushrooms and cooked penne to a medium mixing bowl. Add the juice of 1 freshly squeezed lemon, torn arugula & olive oil. Toss until well combined - season with salt and pepper.

To serve, place penne in bowls, sprinkle with crushed red pepper and top with micro greens.

Serve hot, at room temp or cold.

Also excellent with a bit of almond parm or pine nuts on top!

enjoy!
 
Yum

21 comments:

  1. beautiful, heather! just beautiful. i want to get my hands on mushrooms like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally jealous of your winter market... don't have anything like that, here. Still cold, grey, dreary, and I am definitely itching for spring! I've never cooked with sunchokes, but will have to keep my eye out for them. Also, you're becoming quite the expert in mushrooms I've never heard of - I'm learning so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the microgreens! So pretty. I've seen sunchokes but haven't used them yet- might just have to now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pasta looks fantastic! You know, I don't think I've ever eaten a Jerusalem artichoke--let alone cooked one. But I do love ordinary artichokes...so I think I need to try them one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow.. gorgeous heather.. beautiful indeed. those mini penne with the pretty mushrooms and the microgreens.. a beautiful bowl of food. i'd like the farmers market to deliver these fun veggies to me please:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our farmer's markets won't be open for a bit yet. :( I'm adoring this creation! Those little mushrooms are soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Healthy beyond belief and delicious :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot get enough of mushrooms right now, so earthy and delicious! I think a recipe that uses 3 whole cups sounds delightful :)

    We are almost out of winter! You have NO IDEA how excited I am for spring and the markets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm such a mushroom freak! I would put them in everything, if I could. I'm going to have to hunt down these chestnut mushrooms so I can try them out. This pasta dish looks absolutely beautiful too, Heather! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to try jerusalem artichokes, but I never really see them available anywhere...even without having tasted them myself, I can tell that you chose all the right ingredients to pair them with - mushrooms, arugula, and lemon! Love the fusion idea too of combining earthy vegetables with light springy greens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is exactly the kind of pasta dish I would LOVE! I'm so gonna make this! Beautiful recipe many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I stumbled upon your blog as I was exploring some of the blogs my own blog's readers follow, and I just loved this post. I can't get over how stunning the dish looks. I think my readers would really love this recipe, too! I'd like to invite you to participate in my blog's link-up party to celebrate the end of National Nutrition Month - feel free to check it out and share one of the delicious, healthy recipes you've been enjoying this past month! http://bit.ly/YCpeHq

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic meal! It looks so satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Healthy eating is all about balance. You can enjoy your favorite foods, even if they are high in calories, fat or added sugars. The key is eating them only once in a while and balancing them with healthier foods and more physical activity. Fitness problems are increasing day by day as the diet issue rises. People are now earing more junk food than simple healthy food. Therefore need of a fitness app development is compulsory. While Making a fitness app there must be some compulsions. You should consult from a nutritionist or doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's indeed a very detailed list of blog commenting websites.

    meal-kit delivery service

    ReplyDelete
  16. Build an innovative, end-to-end SaaS App to empower your team or your customers. An expert team will guide you through the entire process from ideation to implementation so that you can go to market with confidence and a competitive edge. SaaS Product development

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this great and useful information in your blog quiebras de abogados. The Winter Farmers Market has been a little glimmer of light - providing weekly fresh kitchen inspiration. I look forward each Sunday to see what new Micro greens or Sprouts one of my favorite farmer has or the new varieties of NH organically grown mushrooms the NH Fungi has and discovering new to me veggies. It is really good and interesting. Keep sharing more useful blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of the best recipe, thanks for the share. just saw on Libretube app

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the share here, Vimusic app

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!