Wednesday, September 5, 2012

tomato tart

tomato tart
oh my, is it nearing the end of summer already? it truly feels like yesterday that i was writing my first post about how excited i was to venture to the first farmers market of the season.
now we are knee deep in bushels of ripening eggplant & tomatoes, abundant basil and the last of our "hot" weather crops are making the final push of producing before the cooler weather moves in.
this time of year , the transition from summer to fall has me craving warm fall soups, pies and tarts.
with summer still forging on and fall knocking at the door i decided to combine the two into what i think is the perfect dish combining the best of summer and a little hint of fall.

tomato tart
i won't lie - i love everything about this simple tart.
eggplant, heirloom tomatoes and basil along with a hearty dose of freshly cracked pepper make a satisfying and hearty tart with the taste of summer and the comforts of fall.
tomato tart
of course you really can't have eggplant & tomatoes without garlic can you? well at least i can't.
tomato tarttomato tart
i highly recommend making your own pie crust if you have the time. making your own pie crust may seem intimidating, but the more often you make your own the better and more comfortable you become with the process. trust me on this - making your own dough is really easy once you stop over analyzing and just go with how the dough feels and acts for you in the moment. okay this kinda makes me sound crazy, but read your pie dough, see where its at, add more flour if needed or water if needed- you will get the hang of it!
DSC07409.jpg
tomato tarttomato tart
once the eggplant and tomatoes are layered in the pan, garlic is sprinkled over the top along with a drizzle of olive oil and tons of freshly cracked pepper and flaky salt.
tomato tart
tomato tarttomato tart
Delicious served right from the oven or at room temp. this would be amazing served at an informal get together simply left out on a cutting board allowing guests to help themselves too throughout the night.
DSC07435.jpg
are you a fan of eggplant?
when you end up with a boatload of eggplants from your CSA or garden what do you create with them?
this time of year do you start to crave the comforts of fall?
tomato tart
Tomato Tart
serves 6

you will need:
1 homemade or prepared pie crust
3 cups assorted heirloom tomatoes - sliced
1 small /medium eggplant, thinly sliced & salted
2 cloves of garlic
olive oil
salt & pepper
handful of fresh basil - torn

assembly:
pre heat oven to 425*

line a tart pan with parchment paper
thinly slice eggplant and spread out on a paper towel, salt well on both sides, cover with another paper towel and allow to sit and drain while you prep the tomatoes

slice the tomatoes to your desired thickness
chop the garlic

remove pie crust from the fridge and press into the tart pan. layer the bottom of the tart with the eggplant, then the tomatoes on top of the eggplant in any pattern that you wish, overlapping of the tomatoes is fine.
sprinkle the garlic over the tomatoes.
drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a good amount of flaky salt & freshly cracked pepper.

bake in the pre heated oven at 425* for 20 minutes, reduce oven temp to 375* and continue baking for an additional 20 minutes.

remove from oven and allow to cool. sprinkle with torn basil just before serving.

this was really tasty at room temp or just out of the oven!

enjoy!



Yum

60 comments:

  1. i love everything about this tart, too! the tomatoes look so ripe and juicy. the photos are so beautiful, i feel like i could reach in a grab a piece! but, i just tried and it didn't work :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crust would be so easy to make gluten free by subbing in AP GF mix! Seriously they need to come up with that Techonolgy cause I just tried to do the same thing with your Cupcakes!

      Delete
  2. sooooooo soooooo good.. The photos are awesome...Feel like having one piece!
    Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful summer/fall treat! You may have just convinced me that I need to get a tart pan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat!?! You of all peole do not have a tart pan - immediately leave right now, get a tart pan and make this!

      Delete
  4. What a great transition dish! I like eggplant but rarely buy it- it's more something I enjoy when out. I would love to get to dig into something like this though. Send me one? ;) I'll pay you back in loads of virtual hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! Haha this summer I have no choice but to love eggplant, which has been surprisingly easy - I think I need to make baba ganoush too :)

      Oh how I wish I could hand deliver one of these too you!

      Delete
  5. What a perfect use of all the late-summer tomato bounty! I love the beautiful range of colors in this tart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you Eileen, I LOVE the different colored tomatoes :)

      Delete
  6. My gosh this tart looks incredible! I have got to make this before the tomatoes go away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Russell! And I must say your Blog is BEAUTIFUL - you are so talented, thank you for taking the time to stop by and sya hello :)

      Delete
  7. love all the roasted tomatoes! we dont eat eggplants at home much too. so this is one fun way to hide them in a beautiful tart:) anything crusty and hubbs will not even ask whats on it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit it right on Richa - the PERFECT way to hide Eggplant, and it is so pretty too!

      Delete
  8. What a rustic, delicious and beautifully presented tomato tart my friend, it looks like the epitome of freshness :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uru! It was definitely a fresh tart that tasted so amazing!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful!! I just got some heirloom tomatoes yesterday and they are one of nature's gifts to this world. :) So delicious, this recipe is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Heirloom Tomatoes are my weakness, they are just so beautiful and taste amazing :)

      Delete
  10. This is beautiful! Love, love all those colorful tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! The tomatoes are quite gorgeous, they get me everytime :)

      Delete
  11. This post makes me want to have this right now! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have some extra in the freezer and am willing to share :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. If I could I would totally send this over to you right now!

      Delete
  13. Um, I think I need a tart pan now. And some eggplants. And you in the kitchen making this. I'll provide the cutting board, so we can serve ourselves throughout the evening. Deal? ;-)

    Seriously, though- I don't know which is more gorgeous: the tart or these pictures of the tart. Incredible post, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES you need a tart pan! and YES I do need to be in the Kitchen with you making this and eating a S'more Cookie at the same time :) How do we make this happen ? I am a total grazer give me some wine and an open spread, good company and I am one happy girl!

      The Tart is beautiful - you always leave the nicest comments :)

      Delete
  14. Yum - that looks like one jam-packed tart! I love that its filled up with so many tomatoes to really highlight the vegetables, instead of other filler ingredients like eggs or cheese. And I always think that I don't really like eggplant, but it sounds like the perfect compliment to the tomatoes in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love those very things about this tart too! It really does compliment the tomatoes, but as you can cleary see the tomatoes are the super stars of this tart :)

      Delete
  15. Wow, what gorgeous colors in your tart! Beautiful! And it looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi - the colors are pretty awesome aren't they :)

      Delete
  16. To make it a bit easier on the waistline I made a pizza crust. I used a lot of different tomatoes just like you - large ones, small ones, red, yellow, green... It turned out absolutely delicious, juicy, pleasing to the eye. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited you made this and liked it - what a great option for a Lighter version, love it!

      Thanks for letting me know that it was a sucess!

      Delete
  17. This is soooo beautiful! I love eggplant, tomato and garlic, too - with basil, of course! I had planned another dish to take to a gathering tomorrow, but I think I have to make this instead. I don't have a tart pan - hope a pie pan will be ok instead. Thank you!

    Your readers may also enjoy this recipe for roasted eggplant and tomato with caramelized onion pasta: http://wp.me/p2HsII-8b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping bye - let me know if you get a chance to make this and what you thought!

      Delete
  18. This is so incredibly beautiful! And it looks like it tastes good, too :) Glad Foodbuzz featured you today so I could find you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany- I am so happy you found me too! I can't wait to check out your blog :)

      Delete
  19. I've been collecting loads of vegan recipies since I became a vegan 2 years ago and this must be my favourite. It's soooo delicious and really easy to make. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for stopping by and letting me know how mush you enjoyed the recipe - it is one of my favorites too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made this last night. I didn't have eggplant - my husband, unfortunately isn't a fan. :( So I subbed with some roasted broccoli. This was so easy to make & delicious! I'm looking forward to finishing it off for lunch today!

    I'm so happy to have found your blog. Thanks for the awesome recipes! (your romance maki was a hit, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That makes me so happy :) love the swap of eggplant with broccoli , so glad you let me know how it turned out!!

      Delete
  22. This looks beautiful and delicious. But, just wondering, since those veggies have high water content, don't they make the crust underneath them kind of soggy? Or does prepping the eggplant dry it out enough to make it work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prepping the eggplant definitely helps + the high heat = no soggy crust yet! :)

      Delete
  23. Good to know. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very good written article. It will be supportive to anyone who utilizes it, including me.
    Keep doing what you are doing ? can’r wait to read more posts.
    very nice article.

    Again, awesome web site! 강남오피
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete
  25. De wegwerpoveralls zijn gemaakt vanSMS. Ze dienen als bescherming tegen droge deeltjes, stof en vuil. Toepassingen: handwerk, schilders, gipsplaten, fabrieksinspecties, productie, productcontrolennogveel meer.FacebookACCOUNTSACCOUNTShttps://www.facebook.com/Rode-Overalls-110746388168860

    Materiaal: SMS (polypropyleen)
    Kleur: wit
    Capuchon met afgedicht gezichtsrubber (ideaal voor maskers), ritssluiting
    Met elastiek voor arm-, been- en tailleband voor beter draagcomfort
    Goede barrière- en beschermingseigenschappen, bijzonder ademend Sanerings Overall

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. HI,
    This is great and awesome post for me. I loved to read your blog. it's really-really amazing. thanks for inspired me by your blog. https://baldwinparkconcretepros.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And I'm glad reading your article. https://vacavilledrywallpros.com/residential-drywall-services

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks a lot for sharing this excellent info! I am looking forward to seeing more posts by you as soon as possible! Learn More Here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Manipur Board of Secondary Education's Manipur Board 9th Model Paper 2023 will be available on the board's official website. This year, the Board of Secondary Education of Manipur will hold the Class 9th class exams in March. This year's tests attracted a large number of pupils. In the state of Manipur, this test is held at all centres for government and private schools. BSEB 9th Question Paper 2023 Following the successful completion of the 9th test, the Board of Secondary Education BSEM will publish the Manipur Board 9th Model Paper 2023 on its official website, which would include student and topic specific information. Candidates who wish to learn more about the Manipur Board 9th Model Paper 2023 could go to the official website.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Its a great and awesome article. Thanks and keep sharing.
    semi truck accident

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!