Friday, October 19, 2012

classic vanilla cake

Pin It
DSC08407.jpg
i had the pleasure of babysitting my two nephews a few weekends ago.
it was so much fun! they are brothers and 7 years a part, it is funny to see how they interact - Aiden the youngest, he's 3 emulates everything his big brother Xavier does.
we went on a nice long hike, every rock Xavier climb, every down tree he jumped his little brother was right behind him making his way over and onto the trees and rocks....with a little help from his auntie of course.

so as a treat i decided to bake them a cake - a simple classic vanilla cake frosted blue with lots of fun sprinkles...not only did we enjoy cake but we also made popcorn on the stove and Xavier made his first, completely from scratch pizza - dough and all! i couldn't be more proud.

DSC08415.jpg
the cake is super simple, easy to whip up in the morning to enjoy that very same afternoon.
when it comes to cakes i definitely prefer vanilla.
growing up i never requested chocolate cake for my birthday and whenever chocolate cake was served at other birthday parties i always opted for a double helping of ice cream
DSC08419.jpgDSC08424.jpg
my original intent was to bake this cake with the boys - but aiden is high energy so a hike was a better plan.
Xavier on the other hand, has been baking and cooking with me since he was little. anytime we had him to ourselves we would always find our way to the kitchen - at 3 he was even helping me with the dishes...okay it was more like playing with the kitchen sink sprayer which resulted in a flooded kitchen - but to him he was the biggest helper of the day.
 
so make this cake with or for someone you love - it is sure to put a smile on their face.
DSC08416.jpgDSC08426.jpg
Classic Vanilla Cake
makes 1 6" layer cake or 1 8" round cake
 
you will need:
 
for the cake
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 cup soygurt or Coconut Yogurt
3/4 cup cold water
2 tsp pure vanilla extract 
 
your favorite frosting recipe with coloring of choice ~ India tree makes a nice line of plant based colorings
 
assembly:
pre heat oven to 350*
 
grease (2) 6" or (1) 8" cake pan(s) & line the bottom of each pan with a parchment round and lightly grease the parchment - set aside
 
in a medium mixing bowl sift dry ingredients together
 
in a medium bowl whisk sugar + wet ingredients
 
slowly stir wet mixture into dry until well combined. evenly divide the batter between the cake pan(s) or pour into the single pan.
 
bake in the pre heated oven 20-23 minutes - until a cake tester comes out with a few moist crumbs when tested in the center of the cakes.
 
remove from oven and allow to cool  - turn cakes onto a cooling rack and fully cool before frosting.
 
once fully cooled frost with your favorite frosting and decorate!
 
enjoy!
 
Print this recipe
Yum

39 comments:

  1. Yum - it looks like such a lovely fluffy cake!

    I love baking with my nephew, in fact - I should make a date with mine so we can spend some quality time together in the kitchen. This cake would be a perfect thing to make together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't nephews awesome! You should defnitely have a baking date with your nephew soon, I am hoping mine never grows too old to want to cook with his auntie :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is such a perfect birthday cake. It is really beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun little cake to make for the boys!

      Delete
  3. i always preferred vanilla cake, too. this cake looks so light and fluffy and delicious! and the frosting looks to die for, and i'm not a frosting gal.

    your day with your nephews sounds so enchanted and lovely. i love the image of your hike. it must have been a tad challenging with a 3 year old ;)

    also, i LOVE the pictures overlooking the green grass! PERFECTION.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth is I am not a total forsting gitl either - this added just the rightamount of "frostiness" to the cake :)

      I could not believe how well Aiden did - no complaints, just happy boys all around, my older nephew told me this was the best weekend ever :)

      The grass in our backyard gets crazy green and thick - the best partis its all natural, all organic of course :)

      Delete
  4. This cake is definitely putting a smile on my face Heather! What a gorgeous presentation - amazingness! I bet your nephews were in heaven with you! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephews are the greatest - they are just pure hapiness :)

      Delete
  5. How cute! Sounds like a fun day :) I am a chocolate fan, but I do love a good vanilla cake too. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meliss - chocolate definitely has its place, but I am a total vanilla girl :)

      Delete
  6. Seriously, are you super woman? I could never put together a cake, stovetop popcorn and a pizza with other people's kids in my house (including my own). Love this cake and love that it's oil free. I sense cupcakes coming on here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - definitely not super woman, they are good kids and love food too :) It probably helped that this was after our long hike!

      Delete
  7. WOW!! What a weekend! Those are some lucky boys:) it looks super delicious! love the sprinkles:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great weekend Caralyn- thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I love your site! You should post some of your food pics on FlauntMyFood.com it could help get you more readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie - thanks for stopping by and for the tip!

      Delete
  9. Your weekend sounds incredible, HOW DID YOU DO IT? I absolutely love this cake it is a work of art :)

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just happy I survived- it was fun though!

      Delete
  10. seriously. gorgeous. cake. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is definitely a keeper recipe! in the midst of the all the chocolate or other inticate flavors, the vanilla gets forgotten. i do love a fluffy vanilla cake with some cream and fruits! love the fresh and bright pictures. made my day since its been raining the past 3 days and will continue for the next whole week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are expecting snow tonight, I am sure I will be revisiting this post to remember what green grass looks like!

      Delete
  12. The texture of your cakes always look so wonderful. I hope to give this a try soon! Like you, I always asked for vanilla cake as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful Heather! Those boys must be very special indeed to get a cake like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this post, Heather. Those boys sound like so much fun and this cake was an awfully nice treat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so much fun- I miss Xavier being little, I can't believe how quick they grow up! Having him and Aiden around is so much fun :)

      Delete
  15. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cat 3 Coveralls Type 5/6 Blue
    Coveralls with covered seams
    Protective cover in non-woven SMS with ankles, face, wrists and waist elasticated to adjust the size. Also with self-adhesive flap for better closure from the front.
    Type 5 & 6 with full compliance to classification according to EN 14325
    Material: SMS 100% Polypropylene 50 g / m2
    Size: L-XL-XXL-XXXL
    Color: Blue, Red, White
    Packing: 50 Pieces
    Price: GBP 1.75 Asbestos Removal Protective Clothing Blue Coveralls

    ReplyDelete
  17. Netkaný ochranný obal s elastickými kotníky, obličejem, manžetami a pasem pro přizpůsobení velikosti. Samolepicí klopa pro lepší uzavření vpředu. SOCIAL ACCOUNTShttps://www.facebook.com/Epitex-%C4%8Cesk%C3%A1-Republika-102467668597706 /
    Typ 5 a 6 s plnou shodou s klasifikací podle EN 14325
    Materiál: SMS 100% polypropylen 50 g / m2
    Dostupné barvy: červená
    Velikost: XL-XXL
    Balení: 50 kusů / pouzdro
    Cena: € 02.00 Jednorázová kombinéza typu 5/6 červená

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday
    Kursi Tamu Mewah

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.

    Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m
    not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
    fast. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not
    sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
    Appreciate it ดูซีรี่ย์ฝรั่ง

    ReplyDelete
  20. ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี
    I think this is among the most important information for me.

    And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style
    is great, the articles is really great : D.
    Good job, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  21. SexyPG89 เว็บที่มี slot666 เว็บตรง ให้เล่น เยอะที่สุด

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!