Friday, April 19, 2013

DIY kitchen series: flavored salts

Pin It
DSC01158.jpg
I am a huge fan of finishing salts - truthfully I love any unique salt. Salt can bring out the best in a dish, elevating the flavors to the next level. I have a home arsenal of salts - they have their own dedicated shelf in the spice cabinet. Gourmet salts can be a bit pricey, I thought it was about time that I start making my own. Not only are they super easy, making your own gourmet salts is economical and allows you to experiment with different flavor combos that are unique.
Welcome to number 2 in the DIY series: make your own flavored salts.
If you missed last week- check out the first in the series here!

DSC01131.jpg DSC01124.jpg
DSC01133.jpg
The flavor combinations that I chose for my first DIY salt collection range from savory to sweet. The ingredients are ones that I have on hand at all time, so creating a batch of salt at a moments notice is easy, so lets get started!
DSC01140.jpg DSC01142.jpg
DSC01126.jpg
Magic salt, brings out the best in every dish. Nooch (nutritional yeast), dried garlic, dried jalapeno, sweet paprika & celery seed are the ingredients found in Magic salt. This type of salt is fun to play around with- sub in sweet paprika for smoked, try a dried chipotle pepper instead of a jalapeno, try dried onion instead of garlic- you get the idea.
DSC01127.jpg
POW! Salt is the perfect salt to use with your sweets or as a cocktail rimmer. Made with coffee beans, ginger, cardamom & cinnamon - sure to be a winner when sprinkled over dark chocolate.
DSC01145.jpg DSC01147.jpg
DSC01128.jpg
Citrus Herb is a classic salt- no pantry should be without it.
DSC01129.jpg
Smoked Matsutake & Saffron Salt is the elegant salt of the bunch - awesome in risottos, sprinkled over pasta with olive oil & garlic with a bit of crushed red pepper or as a simple olive oil dipper. Any dried mushroom can be used in place of the matsutake- porcini would be an amazing sub in.
DSC01172.jpg
Once you have made the salts, they can be stored in any airtight container - mason jars or any re purposed container would work well. I bought these little storage containers here - they would make the perfect Hostess or Holiday gift.

DSC01165.jpg
Flavored Salts
each recipe makes 1/3 cup of salt
you will need:
for the:
Smoked Matsutake Saffron Salt (or porcine)
1/3 cup sea salt
4-5 small pieces of dried mushroom
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
2 generous pinches of saffron
uses: risottos, olive oil dipper, pasta
for the:
Magic Salt
 1/4 tsp of each: Sweet paprika, nooch, celery seed, dried garlic
1 small dried jalapeno
uses: tofu scramble, veggies, butternut squash, root veggies, popcorn, french fries
for the:
Citrus Herb
1/4 tsp of each: rosemary, thyme, dried orange peel (powdered/optional)
1/2 tsp each: dried orange & lemon zest
uses: pan seared tofu, rice, quinoa, pasta, homemade crackers
for the:
Pow!
2 - 3 coffee beans
1/4 tsp each: cinnamon, cardamom, ginger
uses: on chocolate, peanut butter cups, desserts, cookies as a cocktail rimmer, sprinkled on vanilla ice cream
assembly:
Place all ingredients for the salt you are making into a food processor or blender (I used my 2 cup mini food processor) and blend/process until all ingredients are incorporated together - you want to avoid any larger pieces of one single item. The Citrus Herb took the least amount of time processing, the Smoked Matsutake Saffron took the longest.
Store in an airtight container and enjoy for years to come (if it lasts that long!)
Yum

35 comments:

  1. Love this! I've been meaning to make flavored salts for a while now... I have a bunch of fluer de sel that would be perfect for flavoring! That Pow salt sounds especially enticing... you had me at "sprinkled over dark chocolate" - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to find out how to email you to get the labels sent to me. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes and ideas! I'm going to make these as Christmas gifts this year (part of my DIY Christmas, where I am making all my gifts throughout the year to give a personal touch and also avoid shelling out as much money last minute as I have in years past. Could you tell me what the shelf life would for this? Trying to make things as far ahead of time as possible but I wont want them to go bad.... Making several kinds of wine this month which will be perfect to age until the holidays. Thank you again!!!! Also, my email address is lousbous@yahoo.com if you could pretty please send the label template. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      Thank you for stopping by :) I will be emailing the label template out this weekend.

      I love that you are having a DIY Holiday- that is my goal this year too :) The Salts will last forever, the flavor may start to diminish after a year.

      Delete
  3. Loooooooooove this!!!!! What a wonderful idea. I want to try each and every one! Awesome post sweetie! Loving your DIY feature! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are amazing! i've never even seen, used, or purchased flavored salts! i need to get into the loop and make these as soon as possible! what an amazing homemade gift to give!

    where do you purchase dried mushrooms and dried jalapeno?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have buy dried mushrooms from our local Hannafords (grocery store) and at Sunflower Natural Food Store - I also found dried jalapeno & dried chipotles at Hannaford- but I bet you could also order them from Amazon :)

      Delete
  5. I WANT them all! So fabulous Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I think I'll try the pow salt next week because I plan on making my own chocolate. Thank you for sharing.
    I am a new and happy follower
    Elle
    http://bodybyzen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have the template as well!

    cgwheatley@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I will be emailing the template this weekend :)

      Delete
  8. Hi!! Sorry to have been so absent lately. Glad to see you're doing well:) I've never used finishing salt before, but you've inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing, will be sure to make my own DIY salt collection. Many thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Obsessed with this! Definitely going to be my next project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good idea for a kitchen project! I don't use a lot of salt myself, but I do like herbamare because it has other seasonings added to make it a bit more interesting! I like how you gave suggestions for ways to use each variation too...the magic salt would definitely be perfect for popcorn, and the citrus one would brighten up spring produce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! Especially the Magic and POW ones. SO creative and they would really add interest and elegance to finished dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving this DIY series! I love flavored salts, especially Citrus Herb. A friend made me some before and I'm almost out. Now I have a recipe to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this - great idea and awesome flavor combos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am loving this diy series asnd all those cute labels and jars! that magic salt is so versatile. it can be used with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an awesome post...thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice packing and really so awesome information. Like it.

    Popcorn Flavour

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the ideas! Where do you get the tins? How much are they? Would love the template also
    plmrod@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your inspiring blog the information were very useful to my project…
    Mcafee.com/activate
    Webroot.com/safe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing your precious time to create this post, it's so informative, and the content makes the post more interesting.really appreciated. Kingsman Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  21. superslot สุดยอดเว็บเดิมพัน ลงทุนกันแบบไร้ขีดจำกัด ทำรายได้ให้แก่คุณอย่างมหาศาล ทดลองเล่นสล็อต ฟรี
    เกมทำเงินออนไลน์บนมือถือ กับเกม สล็อต ให้คุณได้เงินรางวัลแจ็คพอตกันทุกวัน

    ReplyDelete
  22. superslot superslot ทดลองเล่น ซุปเปอร์สล็อต เครดิตฟรี ทดลองเล่นสล็อตออนไลน์ ได้ก่อนใครตลอด 24 ชั่วโมง และยังสามารถเข้า ทดลองเล่นสล็อตฟรี ได้อีกด้วย ทดลองเล่นสล็อต ได้ทุกเกม ครบจบให้คุณเล่นในที่เดียว เกมมากมายกว่า 300 เกม หรืออีกช่องทางการเข้าเล่นคือ ทางเข้า superslot สล็อตออนไลน์ อัพเดทใหม่ล่าสุด 2022

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work. Comic Con Oufits

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here you will see that a good blog needs an optimal design and content that interests its readers. Since the reasons that can lead you to create a blog can be very diverse, we have included sites of all kinds dedicated to the Spanish-speaking public and grouped into the following categories:

    Examples of blogs for entrepreneurship
    Examples of art, fashion and graphic design blogs
    Examples of lifestyle blogs
    Examples of blogs on science popularization and interesting curiosities

    ReplyDelete
  25. I find both the layout of your website and your post to be quite outstanding. I genuinely value what you've done.
    Atlas VPN Discount
    NordVPN On SamSung Smart TV
    iTop VPN
    CyberGhost Gaming Server

    ReplyDelete
  26. The top Jabodetabek private tutoring for kindergarten, elementary, junior high school. The very best private teachers graduated from well-known state universities. The closest tutoring place online to your property at low priced ... visit https://privat-matematika.vercel.app/les-privat-matematika-tangerang.html for more information

    ReplyDelete
  27. Best in addition to Cheapest Jabodetabek Personal Classes, each of our team along with tutors arrive to your residence, collection your personal analysis routine which enable it to select any kind of area with analyze ... click https://kursus-ekonomi.netlify.app/les-privat-ekonomi-jakarta-utara.html for further

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maybe you will discover a cheaper fee than the table above, ensure again with regards to the qualifications in the teacher / Kindergarten teacher recommended to you ... click for more information https://kimia-exed.blogspot.com/2022/05/les-privat-kimia-di-pasar-rebo-terdekat_16.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!