Friday, April 26, 2013

DIY kitchen series: instant chai

DIY kitchen series: instant chai
A good chai instantly puts me in a good mood - I love when my sister arrives on my doorstep Sunday Morning's to hit the Farmers Market with a Chai in hand for each of us.
 I love that girl, she knows the way to my heart.
Problem is, Coffee House Chai's can be an expensive habit. Not only expensive, but FULL of sugar - for those two reason's I decided to try my hand at a homemade vegan instant chai mix. The idea was born after seeing this pin on Pinterest (is anyone else head over heels in love with Pinterest - I sure am!) .



DIY kitchen series: instant chai
The ingredients can be challenging to find in your local grocery store, I searched high and low and in the end only ended up purchasing the spices needed locally. I easily found the remaining ingredients on Amazon.
Once you have the ingredients the chai comes together in a flash - just measure, give the mix a quick go in the processor and then divide your chai mix into storage containers.

DIY kitchen series: instant chai DIY kitchen series: instant chai
DIY kitchen series: instant chai
This recipe can easily be doubled,  even when not doubled it makes a crazy amount of mix. Perfect for sharing with your friends and family. If you have been following the DIY series, you may have noticed a theme - all of the DIY thus far would make perfect Holiday or Hostess gifts, the Chai mix is no different.

DIY kitchen series: instant chai DIY kitchen series: instant chai
DIY kitchen series: instant chai
The original recipe suggests you us hot water with the Chai Mix - as you may have noticed that is what my labels instruct. Personally, I love heating up a mug of almond milk versus using hot water, it gives the Chai more of a coffee house feel. If you like your Chai a little on the sweeter side I found a drizzle of pure maple syrup works really well. Freeze dried raspberries can also be added to the Chai Mix during the processing step which will create a Raspberry Chai. 
Coconut sugar is used in the below recipe, how ever vegan granulated sugar can be subbed in for the coconut sugar using the same measurements.

DIY kitchen series: instant chai DIY kitchen series: instant chai
DIY kitchen series: instant chai
Once made, the mix can be stored at room temp for up to 6 months, in the Fridge for 1 year or in the freezer indefinitely (but really, why would you want to do that!)
DIY kitchen series: instant chai
DIY kitchen series: instant chai
 Are you a fan of Chai?
Have you ever made homemade mixes such as this in your own Kitchen? If you have I would love to hear what you have made!

In case you missed it...
DIY Week 1- Vanilla Extract
DIY Week 2- Flavored Salts
DIY kitchen series: instant chai
Instant Chai
makes a ton (sorry I didn't measure-out!)

you will need:


2 1/2 cups coconut sugar


2 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp ginger

1 tsp cloves

1 tsp cardamom

assembly:

Place all ingredients in the bowl of your food processor- process until the mix becomes a fine powder. 
Transfer mix to airtight containers (I used mason jars)

To serve, add 3 tsp of chai mix to a mug of how water or non dairy milk - add a splash of maple syrup or your favorite liquid sweetener for a bit sweeter chai.

variations
for Raspberry Chai Mix - add 1 cup freeze dried raspberries   

for Blueberry Chai Mix- add 1 cup freeze dried blueberries 

for Strawberry Chai Mix - add 1 cup freeze dried strawberries



Yum

57 comments:

  1. you know, i'm not a fan AT ALL of chai tea. but i wonder if homemade would change my mind? in any case, this would be a fantastic diy gift ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We offers Customized Made to Measure curtains, shades, blinds, and drapery 100% Blackout Curtains by expert curtains tailors in Abu Dhabi Exclusive selection and expert advice we are best affordable curtains shop in Abu Dhabi
      curtains abu dhabi

      Delete
  2. Yes! This is such an awesome idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner? Chai tea is usually so full of sugar and expensive, love the idea of making your own! I am working on a "basics" post and will include this link, perfect timing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with the first statement.. a good chai puts me in an awesome mood..i love your diy series.. the strawberry chai must taste amazing! hubbs makes awesome chai indian style. our masala is quite heavy on cardamom:)
    oh and i love those Labels.. where r you printing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered craft labels from Amazon and the fonts are from my computer- so easy and total cuteness! They are the Avery Round Craft Paper Labels :)

      Delete
  4. Genius. A good chai is definitely the perfect mood setter :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy!!!! Love chai tea. You are right - chai teas from coffee shops are an expensive addiction! This homemade version sounds perfect. I love the variations you suggested too. Love your DIY series! I'm learning so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful idea!!! :) Great!!

    I just discovered your blog and I love it!

    xox Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just gave me an idea for next Christmas' gifts! LOL! Never too early to plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is so fun! What a great gift idea! I'm keeping this in mind for next fall- perfect for going out to the markets as you said :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there any particular reason to use two different types of dry soymilk instead of all the same one? Just wondering what the difference between the two is..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is Vanilla Flavored and the other is not- You could definitely use one or the other, I didn't want an overwhelming "vanilla" taste so went with a combination of both :)

      Delete
  10. I love your pictures and recipes. I'd like to inform you of a great new website www.foodieportal.com. I would like to invite you to come and join us and share your wonderful pictures with us. We are simply foodies and we are not photography snobs, so picture perfection is not important, all we care about is delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, your DIY series is the best! Now I've just gotta find a tea substitute to make this, or maybe I can just leave the tea out. (I know, I'm weird, I try to avoid caffeine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! i was just thinking the same thing. what if we just left the tea out? Somer, let's figure it out and have a chai making party!

      Delete
    2. When I went to buy my tea they had instant decaf tea as well. :)

      Delete
    3. Excellent! I am actually testing out a recipe that uses this mix in a granola- should be on the blog this month! (hopefully next week :) )

      Delete
  12. I love chai lattes even though I know how bad they are for me with all the sugar in the chai mix. I've also bought the instant powdered mixes to make my own at home, which saves me money but still isn't any healthier! Good for you for figuring out the right balance of ingredients to make your own homemade mix!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love chai! Have you ever tried a "dirty chai"? It's chai (iced or hot) with a shot of espresso and it is awsesome. I agree it's so expensive to buy coffee shop drinks, so I've been trying my hand at making the drink at home. Can't wait to try it with your mix!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am LOVING your DIY series! I swear, every single thing you post, I'm like "I need to do that!" And this one is no exception. Chris is a huge chai latte fan- I think this would be a nice treat for him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been away from your blog for a while now, so I'm a little late in saying that I absolutely love the DIY series that you've been doing! Not only is it generally cool to know how to do this kind of stuff, but this would make a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heck, I'm not evan vegan and I want to try this and your granola! Make another one as my husband has celiac's and yes, figure usually mine will be better and cheaper than what's prepackaged. The mason jars are a nice touch, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow; everyone loves "Chai", and the way you described to prepare is like of "God Level". It so nice to get the details of recipe step by step in a detailed manner, and if any problem will arise will surely reply you back. Keep posting and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice Article. Thanks For sharing. Very interesting Ideas i got to from this blog. Keep Sharing.
    Blinds Shop

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing Blog and Nice sharing. Very interesting Ideas i got to from this blog. Thanks For sharing. Keep Sharing.
    Carpet Flooring

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome and Good Article. I read it for many times, and as usual i got useful information. Thanks for sharing, Please keep sharing much information.
    Curtains and Blinds

    ReplyDelete
  21. This Blog is really giving us much useful information, I really inspire. Keep sharing more useful Blogs and lets inspired us. Thanks For sharing. Ream more useful things That can inspire you.
    Sofa Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing a lot of useful information in this post.Keep it up.Visit us
    Blackout Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing a lot of useful information in this post.Keep it up.Visit us dubai curtains and blinds dubai

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing a lot of useful information in this post.Keep it up.Visit us
    https://reginalynn.com/how-to-choose-curtains-for-your-home/

    ReplyDelete
  25. It could be their Quick Boxes Packaging that needs focus. The companies really have to pay attention to these. Maybe there's something lacking in the choices and the brands haven't been able to pinpoint the issue.

    custom boxes

    ReplyDelete
  26. thank you for sharing a lot of useful information in this post. visit over website related to men fashion, baby fashion

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. axcrack.com I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    NextUp TextAloud Crack

    ReplyDelete
  28. installingElectrician Loughton power lines, repairing high voltage cables and more. Electricians are usually required to have a trade certificate or apprenticeship training before they can work independently.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You will find our teachers exceptionally significant notwithstanding dependable. So pick us since we may be taking the whole obligation of teaching you.

    Online Quran Academy UK

    Online Quran Classes UK

    ReplyDelete
  30. joker gaming เว็บตรง เล่นสล็อต หน้าเว็บ ทางเข้า สล็อต เกมยิงปลา คาสิโนออนไลน์ มีให้เล่นเพียบ
    สำหรับใครที่กำลังหาช่องทางเล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ หารายได้เสริม คลิก ทางเข้า joker

    ReplyDelete
  31. Board of Secondary Education of Andhra Pradesh also known as the Directorate of Government Examinations Andhra Pradesh Conducts AP 7th Class Examination 2023 in the month of April, Every year more than 6 Lakhs of Students Appeared in this Exam, Students AP 7th Exam Schedule Announce very Soon. APSCERT 7th Model Paper AP 7th Class Exam are Expected to be held after Completion of AP 7th Exam which are scheduled to be held from Month of April 2023. Students and Parents Alert this Time 7th Class Study Materials and Plans a strategic Study Routine to Score well in the Exam, Download AP 7th Model Paper 2023 During the Exam Preparation has Proven to be highly Beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  32. superslot game for new players We have many promotions to choose from. ทดลองฟรี ไม่ต้องมียูส. Give away in a cuk. Guarantee fun and fun in one place. End. People with little capital also play เกมสล็อตฟรี. Ready to serve full online games with free credits given every day.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Making blackout curtains can be a great way to block out light and improve the functionality of a room.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Welcome to Premium Decorations – The best place to Buy curtains in Dubai – Also offers Best Upholstery Dubai Services
    Cover your Home and office windows with light and privacy, get high-quality window treatment, and revamp your old furniture with our Upholstery services.
    Order window blinds & curtains from thebest curtain suppliers in Dubai today!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stuart FahrendorffMarch 23, 2023 at 4:15 AM

    The ideal Jabodetabek private tutoring for kindergarten, elementary, junior high school. The best private teachers graduated from well-known state universities. The nearest tutoring place online to your house at affordable ... go to https://kursus-mandarin.vercel.app/kursus-bahasa-mandarin-cilincing.html for more details

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very best as well as Most inexpensive Jabodetabek Non-public Instruction, our team as well as trainers can come to your house, collection your own personal analysis agenda which enable it to pick out any industry regarding review ... click https://privat-inggris.netlify.app/kursus-bahasa-inggris-depok.html for more information

    ReplyDelete
  37. You will discover a cheaper fee than the table above, be certain again with regards to the qualifications on the teacher / Kindergarten teacher recommended to your account ... click for more information https://kimia-exed.blogspot.com/2022/04/les-privat-kimia-di-tangerang-terdekat_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nice info, I really enjoyed reading it. Best regards from Eyeshadow under 200

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very good news is shared in this article. It is very intresting article. I suggest you to keep publishing article like these.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice article, best regards from Best Yoga Mats India

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!