Tuesday, April 1, 2014

three grain kale & kumquat salad

three grain kale & kumquat salad  
I love looking back through past posts to see what I was inspired by each season - it gives me a chance to take note patterns and ingredients that I am drawn too.  For example, during the late winter, early spring I focus a lot on breakfast, hearty grain & greens based salads, spring rolls and citrus along with loads of desserts. This year you will find the same pattern in the archives; breakfast, salad, spring rolls, citrus and sweets - I may have mentioned in a recent post I'm pretty predictable. I have always thought of this time of year as very transitional relating to locally sourced food - most of our Winter Markets are closing as they need to focus their energy on the upcoming growing season, so I find myself scouring the supermarkets for seasonal fare. Citrus season is upon us and I plan to take full advantage of this beautiful season- starting with these little orange, full of happiness kumquats.

three grain kale & kumquat salad
Grains are always in season and super versatile. There are so many unique grains on the market readily available in major stores - my current favorites are Spelt Berries, Red Quinoa & Cracked Freekeh. This salad can easily be made with  Rye Berries, Farro, Wild Rice or any combination of hearty grains you have on hand.
three grain kale & kumquat salad three grain kale & kumquat salad
three grain kale & kumquat salad
When sauteed the kumquats become super sweet and a whole less bitter- the skin is totally edible making prep a breeze, just make sure you remove the seeds. About halfway through the week I was a little tired of "just" a grain bowl for lunch, I love transforming leftovers into something a little different each day. Adding the salad to a homemade tomato soup base totally transformed this dish, I also baked up a few little fritters by pulsing the salad in a food processor with a bit of flour & flax egg and coated the outside with panko bread crumbs prior to baking- they were so good!

three grain kale & kumquat salad three grain kale & kumquat salad
three grain kale & kumquat salad
three grain kale & kumquat salad three grain kale & kumquat salad
This winter has been so harsh and long, for the past few years we have been graced with mild winters and early springs, this year, it feels as if Spring will never come. I day dream about wandering throughout the garden, spring cleaning the yard for summer BBQ's & fires, but with 2 feet of snow still piled up in the backyard it looks like I will be daydreaming for a bit longer!
three grain kale & kumquat salad

three grain kale & kumquat salad three grain kale & kumquat salad
I am counting down the days until I am able to ride my bike to the farmers market, get my hands dirty on a daily basis in the garden and day dream early in the morning with my cup of tea tucked away in the corner of my garden taking in the sounds and smells of all that is growing and working in the garden - I so miss those days & mornings!
three grain kale & kumquat salad
three grain kale & kumquat salad
Three Grain Kale & Kumquat Salad
6 - 8 servings

you will need:
1 cup Spelt berries + 3 cups water
1/4 cup Red Quinoa, rinsed well
1/2 cup cracked Freekeh
1 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups Kumquats sliced in half & seeded
4 cups Kale, stems removed & leaves chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 large shallot, diced
 1 - 14oz can Lentils or white beans, drained
3 -4 tbsp maple bourbon sherry or good balsamic
3 - 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
salt to taste

assembly:
Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a small sauce pan, add spelt berries and cover reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, drain and set spelt berries aside in a large bowl.

To the same sauce pan bring 1 cup water, rinsed quinoa & cracked freekeh to a oil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer- cook for 10 minutes, turn off heat and allow quinoa/freekeh to steam in the covered pan for an additional 5 minutes.

In a large saute pan heat olive oil over medium heat- saute kumquats, garlic and shallot until fragrant and kumquats begin to slightly caramelize on the outside. Add kale and saute until kale softens . Reduce heat to low, stir in lentils/white beans, grains, maple bourbon sherry , maple syrup , salt and pepitas. Turn off heat and transfer salad to the large bowl.

Serve while still warm, room temp or straight from the fridge!

Salad will keep for up to a week.

Enjoy!
Yum

36 comments:

  1. I totally follow patterns during the seasons too - I love it!! This salad looks so good. I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delish, I absolutely loved the fritters!

      Delete
  2. Biking to the farmers market sounds divine :) My grandma used to have a kumquat tree in her house and the memories are very special to me. Their sour insides and sweet rind :) This salad looks hearty and tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to dig my bike out! The tree must have been so pretty, the leaves are pretty gorgeous too - I agree the combo of sweet and sour is a match made in heaven!

      Delete
  3. It's almost barely warm enough here to go outside without a jacket, but that of course, is debatable on a daily basis. This sounds lovely and vibrant. I cannot wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention that, yesterday I saw multiple people in tank tops walking outside and it was only 50 degrees!

      Delete
  4. wow this looks so good - especially the kumquats. I have not seen these in my grocery - must keep my eye out for them

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever tried kumquats - I thought those were orange tomatoes in your pictures at first! I did recently discover freekeh though and I love it as a different option for grain based salads! This looks like a tasty lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't awesome discovering a new grain! Find yourself some kumquats, you definitely have to at least try them once :)

      Delete
  6. I am a big a fan of delicious kumquats, they are so juicy!
    So this salad is especially enticing :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always inspire me to get more creative with my weeknight meals- and this is no exception. I love how you transform a simple grain salad into something beautiful! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Gabby- I love transforming leftovers into something a bit different!

      Delete
  8. I have tried a lot of exotic foods, never tried kumquat though. I bumped in to it on my fav webshop, but didn't know how to use it. Using it as a salad, whipped up with fresh veggies, sounds like a good choice. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So amazing! I love how they lose a bit of their bitterness when cooked a bit, I am not a huge fan of them raw but loved them cooked and added to savory dishes!

      Delete
  9. Yexis Solutions is an authorised product dealer, polycom dealers in chennai of Polycom audio conference and Polycom video conferencing in Chennai. polycom dealers in chennai
    polycom video conferencing in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  10. With a trained team of shopify app development Developers, we build and maintain e-commerce web applications to help you entice more clients.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere. Simple but very precise information Thanks for sharing this one. A must read article!

    IP Webcam App For window

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

    Qiita.com
    Quire.io

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for writing such an amazing and informative article. Logos are important for a business as it creates the first impression. However, if you want to buy a custom logo click here.
    buy logo online

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a Very good Post. Thanks..
    By, SR Jodhpur Taxi Service is best car rental service in Jodhpur so hire car on rent in Jodhpur with SR Jodhpur Taxi Service Taxi.
    SR Jodhpur Taxi Service is one of the best taxi services in Jodhpur. SR Jodhpur Taxi Service never compromises on quality and always believes in delivering service at an affordable price and higher satisfaction. We also provide car rental in Jodhpur or you can car hire in Jodhpur with SR Taxi.
    Address: New Pali Road, Near Amrita Devi Circle Shop No.8, 342005. Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
    Mail: srjodhpurtaxiservice@gmail.com
    Call Us: 7976415188 & 9079331230
    SR Jodhpur Taxi Service Working Hours: 24x7

    ReplyDelete
  15. It’s actually a great and helpful piece of information. I
    am happy that you shared this helpful information with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

    My web site - 휴게텔
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

    Theverge.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  17. HEY!
    This is very amazing and useful post, thanks for the share, if you are looking to law dissertation Service then visit our site and get up to 7O off.

    ReplyDelete
  18. O kit é 100% algodão e confortável de usar
    Cada kit é embalado individualmente.

    O kit contém:
    1 camiseta de manga curta,
    1 deslize,
    1 par de meias
    1 toalha

    Embalagem: 40 kits / caixa
    Tamanho: XXL
    Preço: Euro 2,00 / kit Kit de roupa íntima de algodão com toalha

    ReplyDelete
  19. superslot สล็อตออนไลน์มาแรง สล็อตแตกง่ายในปี 2022 ฝากถอนไม่มีขั้นต่ำ ถือเป็นอีกหนึ่งของเว็บไซต์ สล็อต
    แค่เล่นเกมก็สามารถสร้างรายได้และทำเป็นอาชีพเสริม หรือสามารถทำให้ท่านนั้นรวยข้ามคืนกันได้ง่ายๆ ทดลองเล่นสล็อต ฟรีทุกค่ายเกม

    ReplyDelete
  20. pg slot wow slot pg แจกเครดิตฟรี ทุกยอดฝาก superslot เว็บสล็อตคัดสรร ที่นี่นอกจากจะเล่นเกมสล็อตได้เต็มประสิทธิภาพแล้ว ยังมีเกมให้เลือกเล่นมากกว่า 300 เกม พวกเขายังให้โบนัสและเครดิตฟรี ทดลองเล่นสล็อต โดยไม่ต้องกลัวขาดทุนเลย ทางเข้า pg slot

    ReplyDelete
  21. Manipur 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th , 10th Students Studying for Public Exam 2023 can be Challenging, and Requires a lot of Effort and Practice, Students will have to Master the Subjects. For this Purpose, After Learning the Subject Completely with the help of SCERT 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th , 10th Model Paper 2023,Students Download Mizoram 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th , 10th Important Questions 2023 PDF SCERT Tripura 3rd Class Model Paper to Understand the Blueprint asks in the Public Exam 2023, Students will Find it Helpful to Practice with the help of Manipur Board 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th , 10th Question Paper 2023, All the Students can give Their best in the Examination with Good Preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The head of the soy sauce factory is the head of the soybean paste factory, and the head of the soybean paste factory is the head of the soybean paste factory검증사이트

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!