Wednesday, July 11, 2012

chocolate decadence cake

chocolate decadence cake
inspiration comes in many forms. farmers markets, pinterest, a special event ,a beautiful photo or blog. i was inspired last week by a post from souvlaki for the soul who was in turn inspired by a recipe from the paleo spirit. I am a huge fan of peters photography and creative recipes, i knew that he wouldn't steer his readers wrong and he certainly raved about the cake - i knew i had to make a vegan version of this dense chocolaty cake.

chocolate decadence cake
it has been a banner year for berries - each week at the farmers market i have come across a new berry i have yet to try. the sweet little Lady that i purchased my currants from last week had a few containers of gooseberries. i fell in love with the colors, shape and lines - the berry itself is not overly sweet, but has a sweetness similar to a blueberry. Gooseberries are full of vitamin c, fiber and potassium - a healthy little berry to add to any part of your day.



chocolate decadence cakechocolate decadence cake

the cake itself it gluten free, sugar free, soy free & peanut free as well as vegan.
overall this is one of the "healthier" desserts you could make.
chocolate decadence cake
chocolate decadence cake
very moist, almost fudge like in texture a little slice goes along way. i personally loved the contrast between the rich dense cake with the fresh subtle sweetness of the gooseberries.



chocolate decadence cakechocolate decadence cake

the more i experiment with gluten free baking the more i fall in love with the process. know don't get me wrong, i will still give my left arm for a slice of crusty bread  - which coincidentally i picked up a beautiful loaf of peasant bread at the farmers market Saturday morning which was absolutely amazing! however, there is something to be said about gluten free living, i find the less gluten i consume the better i feel and have made a conscious effort to consume less gluten overall on a daily basis and feel better for it.
chocolate decadence cake
if you have a loved one with a gluten allergy and would love to bake them a sweet treat or are just interested in more of a gluten free lifestyle , I would highly suggest you start with this cake.



chocolate decadence cakechocolate decadence cake
chocolate decadence cakechocolate decadence cake

for more detailed information about this cake and the paleo way of living make sure you head over to the paleo spirit for a visit!
chocolate decadence cake
Chocolate Decadence Cake
(1) 8" cake round or (2) 6" cake rounds
*recipe slightly modified  from paleo spirit

you will need:
*pre heat oven to 350*
10 medjool dates
(soaked overnight)
1 ripe banana
3 flax eggs
(1 flax egg = 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp hot water)
1/2 cup coconut oil - room temp/soft
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup double dutch dark cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee

coconut whipped cream , chocolate ganache or your favorite frosting
handful gooseberries or cherries

assembly:
 in a food processor fitted with an s blade puree dates. add banana and flax eggs and process until well combined. transfer fruit puree to a medium bowl, whisk in coconut oil, coffee and vanilla until well mixed.
combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl - add the dry to the moist and mix until you have a smooth batter. grease (2) 6" round cake pans or (1) 8" round cake pan with coconut oil. evenly divide batter among the (1) or (2) pans smoothing the top with a spatula.

bake in a pre heated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester when inserted in the center comes out clean.

allow to fully cool on a wire rack prior to removing from pans and frosting with your favorite topping or icing.

suggested toppings:
coconut whipped cream
chocolate ganache
fresh pitted cherries
fresh gooseberries

enjoy!




Yum

65 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever had a gooseberry?! I will have to try to find some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are slightly sweet - just a really interesting berry, ou should definitely try and find some!

      Delete
  2. You are blowing me away, here, Heather!! Your cakes always sound so incredible, and every single time you say something like 'Gluten-Free baking is so easy' my jaw hits the floor. This cake looks perfect!
    Also, I've looked for fresh gooseberries so many times at my market, and have yet to find them! Last year there was someone selling a tiny little gooseberry bush, and now I think I should've grabbed it. Ah, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww a tiny little goosberry bush, you should totally grab the next one you come across- I heard goosberry jam is amazing!

      Your comments never fail to make my day Willow, you are too stinkin sweet :) xo

      Delete
  3. If I was able to bake I think I'd have to stop reading your blog, because seriously. I'd be eating cake 24/7, and I'd never be able to stop because everything you post looks sooooo amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel like all i eat is cake when I go on a baking tangent- thank goodness for family closeby, I just make them eat half of everything I make :)

      I am pretty sure Justin would never leave your house after one meal, you totally make all his favorites!

      Delete
  4. this ingredient list has completely blown my mind. it's such a clean cake! i feel like i HAVE to make it now! omg.

    and those gooseberries look awesome! i thought they were grapes! look at you, eating all these amazing fruits..i am truly jealous. xo <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally love that description: a clean cake, I am totally stealing that term!

      Hahha they do look like grapes don't they :)

      Delete
  5. Oh man, I miss gooseberries from Poland... I've nver seen them anywhere in the US :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww this is actually the first year that I have some across goosberries - i wonder why they aren't as popular here?They are so good!

      Delete
  6. That. Looks. Delicious.

    Looking forward to trying it. I don't usually go out of my way for gluten free cakes (I have no gluten health issues and love my cake, bread etc) but you may have just won me over with this one. All that fruit! Yum. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia for stopping by and for your great comment, I do hope you get a chance to try out the cake, it really is fabulous!

      Delete
  7. This looks amazing...and I cannot fault your ingredient list one little bit (and i thought i was good on the healthy cake front!) haven't had gooseberries in years and so love this quirky appeal :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Thanks so much for visting.

      Those little gooseberries are pretty quirky aren't they :)

      Delete
  8. i'll have to find some gooseberries! the indian gooseberries look similar but they are always harvested early for their sour and tangy taste. i have never seen a ripe indian gooseberry:) and they sure are full of goodness. thank you for the reminder to ppick up the dark cocoa .. the cake looks sooo soo moisst and the pictures are beeutiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES get on that Dark Cocoa Richa, you will never go back! I loved the little underipe gooseberries, the tang was quite nice - how did you use them growing up?

      Delete
    2. we usually ate them as is.. they were really tangy, or made preserves with the whole berry. its like a whole tangy lemon in a sweet preserve. its ridiculously delicious and also a great addition to the breakfast for all that vit C

      Delete
  9. Hi,
    I saw your gorgeous photo on Tastespotting, and just had to stop by to tell you how beautiful it is. The recipe sounds really good. Love all of the ingredients:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you spicie foodie, that means alot coming from such an amazing photographer!

      Delete
  10. This cake looks so decadent! I can't believe how healthy it is!

    That purple platter is adorable! I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love Homegoods....wait I think that was a TJ Maxx find :)

      Totally decadent and pretty healthy too!

      Delete
  11. I think I love you. I have been trying to eat healthier---cutting out sugar, meat, butter, etc. I think you may have just saved my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good cake can be a live saver huh - best of luck with the new lifestyle, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and quite easy :)

      Delete
  12. What an absolutely stunning dessert! I recently did a post on my site using pink currants, which are in the same fruit family, and I thought they were so pretty. But, these gooseberries take the cake!...quite literally :) I am happy to have found your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love currants too! Really any summer berry steals my heart - I am so ahhpy that you stopped by!

      Delete
  13. Oh my this is one of the most amazing ingredients list for a cake I have ever seen! Heather, you are just awesome :) I am bookmarking this for the next special occasion. Or just for next weekend ;)

    I would never have guessed you are relatively new at gluten-free baking. All your creations look amazing and gluten-filled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Gabby, I hope you enjoy the cake - Gluten Free baking is fun, thankfullyI haven't had any major disasters, but plenty of other cooking disasters have been had :)

      Delete
  14. I need to find gooseberries! I've never had them before, but they are so very delicate and pretty!

    This cake is gorgeous by the way. You are one talented girl missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so need to find goosebrries at least once in your life, they are worth seeking out for sure!

      And YOU Miss Lady are pretty amazing and talented yourself :) xo

      Delete
  15. Beautiful! Recipe looks delicious- can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Berries, thick Fudgy chocolate - now you are talking my language my friend ;)
    A stunning cake with lovely presentation, this is absolutely lovely!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so your langauge uru, no one does chocolate better than you!

      Delete
  17. I find I do better with a little less gluten as well, but my bread obsession won't let me cut it out entirely. You are killing me with this cake and the gooseberries! I need to take a dinner and dessert to a neighbor who had a baby last week. She has celiac sprue. Thanks for saving her from yet another boxed gluten free something or other dessert (meals are easy, the gluten free baking science totally eludes me). J'adore! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent!

      And I cannt give up my crusty bread either.....I am still dreaming about your pretzel rolls, I think you should send me a few from your next batch :)

      Delete
  18. I can't seem to remember if I have ever tried gooseberries before, but now I really want to! Love the line patterns. The cake is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I have been wanting to try goosberries for a while now, but have never seen them anywhere. This cake looks like pure bliss - will be making soon, you can be sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like gooseberries are hard to come by, I wonder why that is?

      A slice of this cake will send anyone into nirvana

      Delete
  20. I've never tried gooseberries... and I live close to a place called Gooseberry Falls! Somehow that just doesn't seem right. This cake looks absolutely incredible- I included it in a list of my favorite things around the internet on my newest blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the BEST Ruby!

      Gooseberry Falls, such an adorable name :)

      Delete
  21. chocolate decadence indeed! you've done it again! this is outrageous! i think i need a slice of that in my life right about now:) haha stunning photos, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caralyn - I hope you do get a chance to have a slice of this in your life sometime soon!

      Delete
  22. Wow! Amo el chocolate y este pastel no me decepcionara! Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This cake looks incredible! think I'll have to give it a try. Your photos are sooo beautiful. Will definitely check out Paleo Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, I do hope you enjoy visiting Paleo Spirit!

      Delete
  24. Is it even possible to say that I have never tried gooseberries before? I need to have a lookout for them. Your cake looks incredibly delicious! How I wish I can have a slice now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rowena!You totally need to find some gooseberries - they are so much fun!

      Delete
  25. I only just saw your chocolate decadence What a fabulously beautiful recipe you sharing with us here...

    ReplyDelete
  26. The chocolate is really good but especially this blog too

    ReplyDelete
  27. But that really didn't change anything related to blog posts lalu kita akan mencari beasiswa scholarship luar negeri

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for your tutorial, I really liked the chocolate decadence, it is delicious and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there mates, how is all, and what you would like to say concerning this
    article, in my view its truly awesome in favor of me.

    Click here to chceck my blog :: 안마
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good บทความที่ดีมากๆ

    vegus168

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. اجاره خودرو در کیش تنها به صورت بدون راننده امکان پذیر است که با ساده ترین شرایط و قیمت مناسب در سعادت رنت قابل رنت است. می توان گفت که اجاره خودرو در کیش سعادت رنت
    یکی از تفریحات هیجان انگیز مسافران این جزیره می باشد.

    شرکت های بسیاری در زمینه اجاره خودرو کیش وجود دارد اما می توان گفت اعتماد کردن به این موسسات یک ریسک بزرگ است. شما می توانید قبل از شروع سفر خود خیالتان را از بابت این موضوع راحت کنید. می توانید با اجاره خودرو از تهران دیگر نگرانی برای تردد خود در این جزیره را نداشته باشید.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!