Monday, July 30, 2012

unbruschetta

unbruschetta
wow- the second half of this month has been crazy busy.
a conference in New Orleans, then directly following my birthday weekend, craziness at work and a baby shower and 311 concert this past weekend.
needless to say my kitchen and i miss each other.
when life gets busy i tend to fall back on simple, quick and easy meals - and this time of year it doesn't get any easier than a couple of ripe tomatoes, handfuls of fresh herbs from the garden and freshly baked peasant bread from the farmers market. a little sprinkle of good flaky salt, a drizzle of fruity olive oil and a couple of turns on the pepper mill and I am in heaven.

unbruschetta
the garden is bursting with herbs - poor Justin is so confused.
he has been finding herbs literally in everything - i think i have gone a little "herby".

herbs really do shine in this recipe - i love the mix of basil & oregano.

little things like fresh herbs make me happy.

unbruschettaunbruschetta
unbruschetta
the bread man and i at our local Saturday morning farmers market have become bff's - he makes the most amazing breads and surprisingly it is only a part time gig for him. one of the things i love most about visiting the farmers market is being able to chat with the farmers and artisans, I love how their love and passion just radiates from them, these are people that truly love what they do, and it makes me happy to see that kind of happiness.

unbruschettaunbruschetta
late July and august is truly the month of the tomato - you see tomato and i have sort of a love affair. during these short couple of months we just can't seem to get enough of each other.
unbruschetta
i was trying really hard to come up with a unique name for my simple lunch  that i wanted to share with you today - i am huge fan of bruschetta. but you see, bruschetta is on grilled or toasted bread often times drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with garlic before toasting - well this is sort of the lazy man's version of bruschetta - so i am calling t unbruschetta, simply due to the fact the bread is untasted - served straight up.

unbruschettaunbruschetta
fresh heirloom tomatoes, basil and oregano are chopped and torn, then gently placed on top of sliced artisan bread. good olive oil (fruity is amazing) , freshly cracked pepper and good flaky sea salt are drizzled and sprinkled on top of the tomatoes.
unbruschettaunbruschetta
simple. yet SO amazing!
i could eat this everyday in July and august and it would never get old.
any mix of herbs would work, i like thyme and rosemary, chives are also pretty awesome.
so, for those of you looking for a quick and easy lunch or light dinner - grab some good bread, a few just picked from the vine tomatoes and a handful of herbs and go to work.

tell me what is your favorite quick and easy lunch idea, do you also fall head over heels in love with fresh tomatoes this time of year too?
DSC06822.jpg
Unbruschetta
serves 2 for lunch or a light dinner

you will need:
6 slices artisan bread
2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes sliced in half or quartered
handful of fresh herbs- large stems removed and torn into small pieces
good quality fruity olive oil
freshly ground pepper
good flaky salt

assembly:
prep your tomatoes and toss with torn herbs
top each slice of bread with tomatoes & herbs
drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking


enjoy!


Yum

46 comments:

  1. These look amazing (as always), and I just LOVE simple dishes like this- made almost entirely with ingredients you can pick in your own backyard. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back after a busy couple of weeks! It's good to see your one of your posts pop up in my email again!

    Everything about this lunch is perfect: the bread looks so tasty, the tomatoes are gorgeous, there's tons of herbs AND olives... I'm coming over! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to be back, I am still trying to get back into my mon/wed/fri posting rythem but life has been so crazy busy! oh well, we might as well enjoy life while we can right?

      Give me five minutes and I will have this on the table waiting for you :)

      Delete
  3. hey, i missed you, girl! this is the perfect recipe for me since my neighbor just handed me a bag full of cherry tomatoes from his garden. as far as fresh herbs, i am GAGA over basil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have good neighbors! LOVE basil, so amazing right?
      Missed you too - summer craziness :)

      Delete
  4. Me too! I missed you! :) How was New Orleans? I'd love to get there one day.

    Beautiful colours! Love the bright tomatoes and the green + purple basil. So so so pretty! I adore basil and tomatoes together. Too bad I killed my one and only basil plant. *hah*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha New Orleans defnitely wasn't for me...but the Conference was great!

      The Purple Basil is my favorite too, it is so beautiful - I totally babied my basil plants this year - slugs ate all plants last year so this year I was extra diligent - I have so much oregano and basil I am literally bursting at the seams!

      Delete
  5. This looks absolutely gorgeous. I love your photos. I love herbs in everything and I go over the top in all my food too. I can add a packed cup full of parsley or basil to a green smoothie and still want more herbs in them. They're just so full of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over again Katherin! Herbs are so good in smoothies too, but I haven't treid basil - totally on the list though :) What do you typically pair with your basil in the smoothie?

      Delete
  6. So lovely Heather! This is making me miss fresh bread so much! Since going gluten-free I rarely keep bread in the house and I find I don't really miss it. That is, unless someone like you teases me with this beautiful recipe and photos ;)

    Fresh herbs are really amazing aren't they. Just add a few to a dish and it completely changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the teaser gabby :( Richa has some amazing vegan bread recipes you should check out - and she makes it look super simple too :)

      Serious, fresh herbs and tomatoes are the scene stealers this summer!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous colors! I've been craving bruschetta and I love this simple version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi - super easy...really I was just too lazy and hungry tp toast the bread :)

      Delete
  8. gorgeous colors! and welcome back..half my herbs are yellowing up already with 2 days of sudden heat, then cold and rain again. the hardy ones are thriving of course.. lotsa mint and thyme.
    summer definitely gets so busy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you could kill thyme or mint even if you tried - they love all that hot weather and dry soil - basil is definitely a sensitive herb- but so yummy!

      Delete
  9. nice one! Wish we could get those juicy tomatoes in India :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Tomatoes here in New England are super abundant this year, I have been totally taking advantage ;)

      Delete
  10. Happy belated birthday my friend :D
    You deserve to relax and unwind with this delicious treat!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uru - this was most definitely a relazing lunch, the way summer lunches were meant to be :)

      Delete
  11. What a lovely simple idea! I have to do a quick shopping trip anyway, so I shall pick up the bread to serve as base for my Sungold cherry tomatoes, basil, rosemary and thyme ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE sungold cherry tomatoes - I hope you enjoyed your version of unbruschetta!

      Delete
  12. Welcome back and Hope you had a fabulous birthday! This looks so fresh and tasty. I have been making a lot of this type of thing this summer - but my favorite is just mashed up avocado with some salt and pepper... yum!
    P.S. 311 was one of the first concerts I ever went to when I was younger - fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meliss - My birthday weekend was wonderful and 311 was amazing! It was the first concert (8 years ago) that Justin and I went together and we go every year they tour NE :)

      Mmmm avacado toasts with S & P - My fav too!

      Delete
  13. I couldn't agree with you more! One of my favourite simple summertime meals growing up was when we had tomato sandwiches using ingredients from the garden - just bread, mayo, sliced tomatoes and basil. Just last weekend I had my first taste of a 'real' tomato this year and ate it on toast with olive oil, balsamic and basil - it was so simple and yet SO good! I could eat that every day too :)
    I love the pics of your unbruschetta - the red, yellow and green colours are so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I really need to make a balsamic syrup - it is so amazing drizzled over tomatoes with basil!

      Delete
  14. wow the colors in that are so amazing and vibrant! i couldn't agree more -- give me toms, basil and EVOO and I am a happy camper! Happy belated Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day celebrating you:) Summer birthdays really are the best ;) haha great photos as always!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caralyn on all counts - summer babies are the best :)

      Delete
  15. I have never seen a more colorful dish! I'm thinking this will make the perfect addition to the buffet of yum at our Going West party this month...I loved it so much, I had to share with all my friends in my post today. Thank you for delicious ideas! Cheers!

    http://www.lesbonnesideesmag.com/mercredi-fantaisie-to-market-jiggity-jig/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much for the link up - you are the best and so happy you liked the post :)

      Delete
  16. Absolutely beautiful! I love the color of those heirloom tomatoes and they fresh herbs provide such a nice touch!

    Thank you for sharing with us on HVF!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing my husband will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So easy & so good - I hope you enjoys it as much as I did :)

      Delete
  18. This looks dang delicious! Simply love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i`m new here on your blog first time visited but i really enjoy your work and very valuable recipes get it from here....thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. You topic is very great and useful for me…thank you download app

    ReplyDelete
  21. Greetings! I just wanted to thank you for the published entry! You have helped us too much! We are glad we have found this source here.

    Click here to chceck my blog :: 풀싸롱
    (jk)


    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a wonderful dish. I really love this content quality.
    John Deere Tractor

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a nice and Informative blog here.
    Sonalika Tractor

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for publish this content that is helpful for us. Sonalika Tractor

    ReplyDelete
  25. magnificent! This is a beneficial and unique post for us. This article is superb. I am glad to read this. thank you for sharing. - Massey Dynatrack

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice article, Good work keep it up, Your hard work must be appreciated.
    Bolero Pickup 4x4 price

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!